Subject: [Leica] Leica Books....which to buy?
From: shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka)
Date: Tue Dec 27 08:44:27 2005

sticking to what borders shows as in print:

the lager books are definitive for the collector--and comprehensive--
running over 1,000 glossy pages in 3 volumes.

the two lager books which show up on the borders sute are not described
accurately; i've disambiguated them below by ISBN numbers.  there is
also a third volume Accessories ISBN 0963697331.  if not available
from borders, volume III (as well as the other two) are available
directly from mr. lager (jlager@bellatlantic.net)

laney (collector's) is a single volume similar in spirit, not as
detailed nor lavish as the lagers, but well worth owning for the
collector.

rogliatti is a yet more compact volume, which concentrates more
on bodies and commemoratives than lenses.

osterloh and matheson are good user books, the former to me is
the better value, with twice the content, and a more lavish treatment.

of out of print books, sartorius's Identifying Leica Lenses is
a surprisingly handy little reference guide worth owning even
if you have all the lagers and laneys.  of you want to really
go back, i'm quite fond of the "Leica Manual 15th Edition" (1973)
by David Vestal et al.  it goes up to the M5, CL, and SL.

-rei

following from www.bordersstores.com:

Leica Lens Compendium
Puts, Erwin
Hardcover ~ September, 2004 ~ In Print
List Price: $59.95

Leica - An Illustrated History (Vol. II Lenses)
Lager, James L.
Hardcover ~ March, 1995 ~ In Print
List Price: $149.95
ISBN: 0963697323

Leica Collectors Guide
Laney, Dennis
Hardcover ~ July, 2004 ~ In Print
List Price: $90.00

Leica - An Illustrated History (Vol. I Cameras)
Lager, James L.
Hardcover ~ September, 1993 ~ In Print