Subject: [Leica] Santa came!! Meade ETX-70
From: shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka)
Date: Tue Dec 27 09:16:16 2005

looks like a nice site.

i bought an ETX70 in the summer for my son's 8 year old birthday
since someone knowledable about such things deemed the ETX
amenable to astromorons such as myself.  if you can
locate one or two stars, the computer can find all the others.
in a fit of towering overambition, i also acquired the requisite
t-adapters and such for astrophotography.

of course, i embarrassed myself in front of my kids by
failing to locate a single star, fumbling in the dark over
a starfinder wheel.  by the time i developed a hypothesis of
where a star might be, i'd have
to rotate the wheel up another hour.  it also did not help
that despite living in the same house for 25 years, i had
no strong sense of which direction was north.

if the moon were out, i would probably have failed to find it.  i
was so depressed, i set up the thing to point out the window
for my son to spy on the neighbors.  this spring i will summon
up the courage to try celestial adventuring again.

-rei

--
Rei Shinozuka shino@panix.com
Ridgewood, New Jersey