Subject: [Leica] B&W Film Scanning and the Epson 2450
From: dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Mon Dec 19 23:23:32 2005

David, I use exactly that scanner for all my medium format negatives
and, rarely, slides. I'll answer your questions individually below.

On 12/20/05, david feingold <dfeingold@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I have an Epson 2450. My experience with scanning is basically limited to
> that scanner. Here are my questions:
>
>      Can anyone here can tell me what has worked best with that scanner and
> B&W (silver film).

I use Vuescan. I don't bother with the "proper" film holder. I lay the
negative down on the glass and use the short end of the 4x5 holder to
press the film to the glass. I put the emulsion side down and tell
Vuescan to "mirror" the scan.

>      Is it okay to use Twain? I can't seem to link my Silverfast to that
> scanner having tried to load it

I've never installed the Epson drivers or scanning programs. There's
nothing wrong with Twain per se. Way back when I downloaded a test
version of Silverfast but saw no reason to use it compared to Vuescan.

>      unsuccessfully on several occasions. I scan through Twain and edit in
> PS Elements.

I scan directly with Vuescan, save the file as a TIFF file and then
edit it with Photoshop.

>      I find scanning at higher resolution than 1600 takes a really long
> time. Is this normal.

Yes.

>      Slide scans don't come close to the real thing...any surprise there?

Transparencies are tough, particularly high contrast transparencies
(Velvia). You'll never be able to capture those lovely, clear, vibrant
colors. There will always be a difference.

I have much better luck with color negative film (lower contrast). On
the other hand, with both color negatives and transparencies I usually
get problems with Newton rings. I suppose the dedicated film holder
which holds the film slightly off the glass, would help, with
concommitant degradation in sharpness if your scanner lens focuses at
the plane of the glass.

> Some of my results are pretty good. Suggestions greatly appreciated.... I
> will look for an upgrade pretty soon but not ready to throw this one in
> with
> the towel yet.

I certainly wouldn't. My film scanner got clobbered by lightening
(twice) and in the hiatus between scanners I used the Epson 2450 to
scan in 35mm color negatives:

http://www.leica-gallery.net/dlridings/folder-3355.html

On another topic, and I've brought attention to it before, but in the
same series, please check out the collection of short stories someone
started to write in connection with my photos of this hotel:

http://www.leica-gallery.net/dlridings/image-33207.html

The internet is fascinating.

Best,
Daniel