Subject: [Leica] OT: What about England
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Mon Dec 12 16:08:46 2005

Adam,
Great Britain is an island, the largest of the British Isles.
England, Scotland and Wales are countries on the island of GB, Northern
Ireland is a part of the island of Ireland. The other part of the island of
Ireland is Ireland, or the Republic of Ireland, aka Eire, whereas the
northern bit is sometimes known as Ulster.
Add to these thethe semi-independent Channel Islands and the Isle of Man, we
then have an entity known as the British Isles (purely geographic in
nature).

Now the political bit:  Subtract Eire from the equation and we now have the
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (the political
bit) Usually shortened to the United Kingdom or just plain UK..

Subtract Ulster (N.Ireland) the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man and we
get
back to Great Britain, which, although ruled from London, does have regional
capital cities with regional parliaments, Scotland has Edinburgh, Wales has
Cardiff, The Isle of Man is out on a limb with it's Tynwald in the capital
Douglas, a sort of local government related to the Nordic idea of a Ting or
Thing, a meeting of elders to decide the fate of a nation, The IOM is
actually allowed, along with the Channel Islands, to make their own laws and
set the level of their tax levies. To make it even more fun the Channel
Islands are ruled in a form of feudalism with a bloke called a Seigneur at
the top of the political pile. Then there's also a pile of rocks way out in
the Atlantic Ocean called
Rockall, the only use of which is to extend our continental shelf rights and
to act as a training site for Royal Marines to mount amphibian assaults -
nobody lives there.
Douglas