Subject: [Leica] Re: [LRflex] Digital Leica "M" now HP calculator OT
From: shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka)
Date: Sat Dec 10 08:27:25 2005

it's hard to beleive that the original 12C will be 25 years old next
year and is still going strong, "platinum" version nonwithstanding.
the 12C is still the standard on bond trading desks.  i think the 12C
is an example of locally optimum functionality.  you can't make it
better by making it smaller because it would be harder to use, nor
could you improve it by adding functionality because it would become
too complicated (i've never even used most of its existing functions
like IRR and amortization).  about the only thing you could do is to
make it run forever without batteries (which it nearly does) or
make it cheaper (it is already about 1/5th of the inflation-adjusted
price of its 1981 introduction.)

i am using it right now studying for an options exam.  or was until
until i started goofing off and reading email.

-rei

--
Rei Shinozuka shino@panix.com
Ridgewood, New Jersey