Subject: [Leica] Week 48 - And It's Black & White!!
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Fri Dec 9 22:10:44 2005

Hi Ric,

In this case B&W is definitely better.

One of the by-products of having switched to digital is that now that
all my images start out in color, I have to make conscious decisions
about this issue. More often than not, I find that pictures like the one
you show (excellent, BTW) work better in B&W than in color. That is of
course the traditional maxim about photographing people rather than
their clothes etc. But also other images work best in monochrome, like
this one which I posted yesterday:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_48alt3.jpg
The colors in this case were quite pleasing, since the picture was taken
in the morning, not long after sunrise, so the light is warm and
directional; but in the end I found that the B&W version better
represented the abstraction of light and shadow that I wanted to show.

Nathan