Subject: [Leica] Motor wind and shooting style
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Thu Dec 1 16:12:44 2005

I just noticed that with motor wind bodies (g'friends N80 or
my D70, which isn't motor wind per se), I tend to keep my
eye to the VF and search out other compositional possibilities.

With my M bodies, Bessa R or FM3a, I take my eye from the
VF to wind the film.  Yes, I get better at framing shots in advance
of putting my eye to the VF, but it's definitely different, and I
I guess I find it something of a distraction.

Which leads me to my inquiry.  Autowind bodies are everywhere
in inexpensive SLRs with relatively compact dimensions. Heck
even my little tiny Oly P&S has auto film wind.

So apart from the Hexar RF, why hasn't Leica or Zeiss or CV
produced bodies with automatic film wind?  The M7 and R2/3a
and new Zeiss are already battery dependent, automated camera
bodies, so why not add auto film wind?

Is it an issue of cost? Hard to believe, again, given the auto-wind
capabilities of most inexpensive P&S cameras.  What am I missing?

Scott

Replies: Reply from clzeni at mindspring.com (Craig Zeni) ([Leica] Motor wind and shooting style)