Subject: [Leica] Re: Feli's XTOL
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Nov 29 19:14:27 2005

On 11/29/05 1:24 PM, "Adam Bridge" <abridge@gmail.com> typed:

> I just have to wonder if there's something else interfering with
> things - that there is something in the water Feli is using to dilute
> his XTOL solution (which he mixed with either DI or distilled water)
> is having an effect on the development.
>
> Looking at the original XTOL data sheet for Tri-X 135 @ 400 diluted 1:1 you
> see
>
> 65 - 8.75
> 68 - 8.25
> 75 - 7
> 80 - 6
>
> Your method of agitation will change these times. The Kodak method,
> which requires a darkroom and the addition of the film rolls directly
> into the already filled tank and then putting on the top, has a 5-7
> inversion cycles in 5 seconds then 30 seconds still and 2-5 cyles of
> inversion every 30 seconds after that until the time is complete.
>
> Most of us, for dilute solutions of XTOL (1:3) allow much longer times
> especially toward the end of the development cycle. I think I'm safe
> in saying this.
>
> Times for 1:1 upwards of 13 minutes seem to imply water temperates of
> 50 degrees F which seems darn cold for tap water.
>
> Adam

50 degrees F? No I don't think so.
Not less than 65.
The Hydroquinone conks out.
Which it doesn't have it in. But ignore that.
But I still don't think they or anyone expects you do run film for some
reason in 50 degree f water. You'd freeze your fingers off you'd need
asbestos rubber gloves. Your emulsion would crack off in sheets when you
unrolled it. I don't think your fix would work at that temp.
I still think we should be sticking to the 68 to 72 range.
Your mileage may differ.
But then you'd be wrong!
:)

Mark Rabiner