Subject: [Leica] Xtol dev times
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Nov 29 19:00:46 2005

> We are talking about different things. I do not mean about
> photographic uses of this or that, a subject that everyone going
> seriously into the darkroom should decide by direct knoledge *after
> buying a thermometer even before than the developing tank*. I was
> talking about the environmental impact, and yes XTOL might be
> effectively less harmful on the drain, but not as much as it seems
> only because the main developing agent is Vit-C, that's all.

Oh you mean THAT was your original question! I don't often go all the way
back to the source but just respond to the responses. By that time we're
talking about you name it the blue cheese quotient of the man in the moon.
Which no offence can be more interesting than the original question.

Yep! I agree with you I don't feel I'm giving the environment much of a
break pouring a gallon of Xtol down he drain every month or so more than D76
or the PQ's or Rodinal or whatever.
I think the mission point inspiration behind the money behind the
development of Xtol was not the environment or can you drink it after a hard
game of volley ball but making a powder dissolve easily so they don't have
to send water which is heavy though the mails.
D76 was loosing out to the liquids. And they wanted to come out with a d76
which seemed easy to work with. You don't have to stir and stir and stir and
use 100 degree water and ten minutes later still be looking at ROSEBUD.

And on that original mission statement they didn't exactly succeed. Or fail
either. But the emphases was shifted and became more about the unexpectedly
higher quality obtained with the Ascorbic acid with the Dimezone or
Phenidone (to you Charley). That was a stunner as we got our cake and ate it
too with real fine grain AND real nice sharpness
AT THE VERY SAME TIME!!

Before such a phenomenon was in the MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE department.
Department of Mutual ex?cluZsitivity
Now together for the first time!!!!
Paul Newman AND Steve McQueen!!

And you'll feel something akin to the electric thrill I once enjoyed when
Gilmore....
Pat Conway...
The Great Creatore..
W.C. Handy..