Subject: [Leica] Xtol dev times
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Nov 29 04:04:55 2005

> I don't think that there is a really big difference between phenodine
> and vitamin C in the concentration and mixture with other elements
> used as developers.
>
> Everyone can do a lot more for the environment developing the film in
> 4 reels tanks and not draining it  (carry them to a recycling center)
> than changing the developer.
>
> my 2c.

Its Phenidone WORKING WITH Vitamin C which seems to make for the before
thought of as being impossible results.
They compliment each other amazingly.
Xtol is not just balancing Phenidone with Hydroquinone like the others.
Those are PQ developers.
And by the way MQ developers are the ones like D76 and well most developers.
Those are Metol/Elon combined with Hydroquinone.
Hydroquinone is the high contrast reducer with either Phenidone or
Metol/Elon being the lower.

There is NO HYDROQUINONE in Xtol which kind of puts it in a different
category.

NO PHENIDONE either.
It's DIMEZONE instead.
Dimezone is a Kodak trade mark version for a Phenidone derivative which is
more stable they say than Phenidone. I think it may be as different from
Phenidone as sugar is to NutraSweet.

So Xtol is really a different ballgame than PQ developers like DDT or HC110
or Tmax and certainly the MQ's. There's no Q. No P. And no M.

SO I mind my PQ's and MQ's and stick to Xtol.
Or high acutance developers.
Xtol is still a solvent developer which only gives near high acutance
results with high dilutions.
In effect doing with it was not meant to do.
Normally if you want high acutance you don't use a solvent type formula but
a high acutance formula.
Acutance is just like sharpness. Except its not at all like it.
Don't ask me!

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon