Subject: [Leica] DVD for teaching photography?
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Nov 27 20:57:21 2005

B. D. Colen offered:
Subject: Re: [Leica] DVD for teaching photography?

>I think the photography idea is very doable, as long as you take it well
> beyond shooting medicine. I would, not, however, screw around with
> doctor's
> talking about medicine; think about it - the photo shows one split second
> in
> a six hour operation, so what's the doctor going to do - talk a student
> through brain surgery?

Hi B.D.,
Thanks for the wisdom. Yes you are right! It should be one or the other and
because I lecture on photography, obviously I should stick to a "one track
mind" ;-) I figure if I use some previous lectures from my Leica Seminars as
a slide show with words it might work OK.

I've had several suggestions on the same track, "stay with photography" so
that's what I'll look into as a New Year project. Broaden it out rather than
a one subject situation.

I'm certainly going to need something to fill my time.

As of Monday 28th my files, slides, negs, B&W mounted exhibitions will be
going to the National Archives of Canada. They already have a Ted Grant
collection within the National Photo Collection, so this is the final
submission covering the past 55 years of my life as a photojournalist.

Quite frankly an emotional time to say the least these past months as my
assistant and I filled 30 boxes and looked at many many prints. There were
moments of looking back 40 years and feeling satisfied at what I did. By the
same token looking at some even more recent and thinking, "well you idiot
why did you shoot it that way?" ;-)

Kind of goes with the territory, as no one in this crazy world of
photography is perfect! Hell I've spent 55 years in the fun house and I'm
learning all over again, with digital! ;-) And I'd never change any of it.

Well OK one thing for sure! I'd have more family time rather than phone time
talking to them from the other side of the world.

Anyway as of Tuesday it's the beginning of a whole new world, we shall see
what path it takes me.

Thanks for the suggestions on the DVD.
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited