Subject: [Leica] OT: blogging software
From: kbingman at gmail.com (Keith Bingman)
Date: Sat Nov 26 14:10:17 2005

Nathan,

I have used Textpattern since it was in "gamma" (something a bit
better than beta...) and it is very easy to set up and customize,
provided you can write a bit of html and work out a basic navigation.
The downside I have to say is documentation. It is a bit erratic, but
I think it is a very nice solution. It is, like most blogging tools,
php/mysql and comes with a GPL license. There is also a helpful
forum, when you get stuck and need advice.

There are also a few picture gallery plugins should you want to
integrate a gallery.

www.textpattern.com

The other blog program that is quite nice, is Wordpress. I took a
very brief look at this and liked it, but had already spent time with
Textpattern, so I never bothered to go further. Unlike textpattern,
it has a wide variety of pre-made templates, so you can just download
and away you go. It is also a php/mysql solution.

www.wordpress.org

The final big player in Movable Type. I think this is still free for
personal use, but I have honestly not looked into it at all, but it
is very widespread. This is also based on perl, not php.

http://www.sixapart.com/movabletype/

Other than some home made, esoteric solutions, that is what I would
recommend. I have about 10 textpattern sites these days, and like
setting them up. The administration is easy and the main developer is
something of a character. He became well known largely through his
dog's website, the Daily Oliver, http://www.textism.com/oliver/daily/

Good luck. It is a lot of fun.

Keith Bingman
www.keithbingman.com