Subject: [Leica] Zeiss Ikon's homage to the Leica M7
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Wed Dec 21 06:51:02 2005

Gene,
I don't think anybody who followed the reasoning given by Leica felt
that Leica "were giving a line", I certainly did not. I did buy an
Epson RD1 and like it. I get good results and enjoy using it.
Everything Leica said about the unsuitability of rangefinder lenses
for digital sensors has been shown to be true by this camera, luckily
on a 1.5 crop there is a reasonably acceptable software work around.
I really do not think Leica would have announced a digital M if the
Epson had not been released and there is absolutely no doubt in my
mind that the rangefinder lenses will be unable to properly cover a
digital sensor the size of a 35mm frame of film - even at a 1.3 crop
I will be curious to see how they have overcome the inherent problems
with the wide angle lenses.
The problem Leica still have is production volume, The Canon EOS D350
sells more cameras per month than the total Leica M3 sales over its
lifetime, and the M3 was the biggest selling model by far of all
published records. I suspect there are only a tiny number of R8 and
R9 camera owners to pay the development costs of the DMR, that is why
it will always be expensive.
Frank