Subject: [Leica] RE: Digital FIBER Prints
From: cochranpr at mac.com (David Cochran)
Date: Sat Nov 12 08:24:29 2005

I am no expert here but I want to say this.

I purchased sometime ago an EPSON R300. I wanted the, then new EPSON
1200 but could not afford it...still can't afford it.

So I purchased a bunch of different papers to try them on my printer. I
use the EPSON inks. I began an interesting journey of how to make good
prints on my new printer. It was fun and taught me a lot about what is
it out there in terms of marketing vs quality.

The thing that I learned was to calibrate my computer screen with a
simple technique that was featured in View Camera Magazine. It is an
"eyeball" and Photoshop thing.
You make a gray chart that you then print on your particular printer,
then you scan on your particular scanner, you then view it with your
particular screen and in Photoshop work with the "curves" until
everything matches, more or less. The technique was more for the
application of making digital negatives for contact printing in a wet
lab.

All of this to say that I really did not spend too much money on this,
if I decide for a wet lab it is going to be very expensive compared to
using what i already have.
One thing I did find out, for regular prints I would go to the local
Lab and have them print my digital files on photo paper with chemistry,
much more cheaper and better quality than my printer.

peace