Subject: [Leica] Re:OT enlarging lenses
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Fri Nov 11 22:21:45 2005

At 12:11 PM -0800 11/11/05, Richard wrote:
>It appears the choice is down to Rodagon APO 50/2.8 for $199 or a
>Focotar 50/4.5 (original) for ~$120-$150. I am leaning toward the
>Rodagon in the same vein that while 99% of my photos are crap, the
>remaining 1% deserves the very best lens I can afford...

The 'original' Focotar came in two distinct flavours. I'm probably
not quite right in this, but don't feel like standing up and going to
the bookshelf for the real deal...  The first was a Schneider design,
the second a Leitz design. I have the second one, the one before the
Focotar-2. When the Focotar-2 came out, I went down to my local,
borrowed two samples and brought them home to try against my older
one. Mostly, it was a wash. The only difference I could see at any
aperture and magnification was at f/4.5 and f/5.6, where the older
one had less vignetting due to larger front and rear elements. It's
essentially an f/2.8 lens that has been throttled down. In fact, it
had better evenness of illumination than a Rodenstock Rodagon 50/2.8
and Nikkor 50/2.8 that I tried at the same time, all at f/5.6. This
was, I believe, in the 70's, so there have been advances in the
Rodenstocks and Nikkors since then. In any case, I found the older
Focotar to be the equal of the Focotar-2's, and better than the other
brands, so I still have the Focotar 'late-original' from about 1958.
The 40/2.8 (at least the one I had) is not nearly as good, but does
work reasonably well on the V-35 system. Stay away from 'wideangle'
enlarging lenses unless you _really_ need them when using regular
enlargers.

All this does not, of course, mean all that much in relation to the
samples you might find. :-)

As Frank wrote, a recent APO-Rodagon or Componon-HM is probably a wise
choice.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design