Subject: [Leica] OT: which enlarger lens
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Sat Nov 12 15:32:58 2005

At 2:47 PM -0800 11/12/05, Mark Rabiner wrote:
>On 11/12/05 6:11 AM, "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net> typed:
>
>>  I did not say that specifically... the 2 lenses are considered of equal
>>  quality.  Whether one is APO or not is a matter for the seamanship folk.
>>
>>  Probably your second idea is more true...
>>
>>  Frank Filippone
>>  red735i@earthlink.net
>>
>>  So really a Componon S is considered APO?
>>  Or the APO Rodagon is maybe not so much APO but just a really good lens?
>>

>As to enlarger lenses not being APO the whole APO thing started from process
>camera lenses which should be a close kin to enlarger configurations. So why
>not?

Process lenses need to have exactly the same magnification at three
specific wavelengths, corresponding to the 3 process colour
separation filters used. Any differential magnification causes
misalignment and lousy quality. The way to get this is to have the
lens corrected so that at a given reproduction ratio these three
wavelengths are in focus with no distortion (differential
magnification across the image field). These are the 'Apochromatic'
lenses that are the basis for further discussions.

After a while everyone in the photographic world 'knew' that apo
lenses were the 'best', so marketers got in on it and made the most
of it and confused everyone. Remember the early Sigma 'APO's? The
rest is history.

Now just because 3 wavelengths are in focus at the same time at a
certain magnification and there is no distortion does not mean the
lens is good or even useful for ordinary photography. The other
wavelengths may fall where they may, and their focal point may
diverge wildly from that of the 3 wavelengths of interest, and as
soon as you get out of the optimum magnification range the image may,
and sometimes does, fall apart completely.

In the same way some of the highest resolution lenses ever made,
namely those intended for imaging computer chips only have to handle
one wavelength and magnification, and may therefore be totally
useless for general photography; they may not even be achromats which
focus 2 wavelengths at the same plane. They are often very good
lenses for other purposes, but that is more an accidental byproduct
of the huge effort to make them perform well at their intended task.

Lenses for general photography have to have even performance over the
whole spectrum and for the full range of magnification that the lens
is to be used for, have to have reasonably large apertures, be not
too big or expensive, etc. Leica lenses have generally adhered to
this principle, and that is why they work well, but cost more than
average. The new 'APO' lenses that Leica makes are likely not
apochromatic over their full magnification range, but likely are for
at least part because Leica is not known to bandy unmerited terms
about as readily as some other companies, but the most important
thing is that the rest of the visible wavelengths are focussed very
close to the same plane, and all the other aberrations are handled
well. The 'APO' designation itself is both misleading and irrelevant
for general photography.

The 'APO' designation of the first APO Rodagon certainly was such a
designation, and had all to do with marketing. It was a good lens,
but not as good as the Focatar from 1958 I had, which was not
designated 'APO'.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design