Subject: [Leica] RD-1 Catfight
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Thu Nov 10 00:28:45 2005

Perhaps I am more forgiving of the RD-1 "shortcomings as I am an
engineer used to making decisions about what to spend the development
budget on. Clearly the volume made was expected to be tiny so the
incremental cost of any development would have a significant impact
on retail price. I personally don't mind the lever wind but can see
the anomaly. OTOH the shutter arrangement, which was already in
existence remember, functions fine and adds nothing to costs. The
metering existed and worked imagine the cost of a matrix type
metering system in a rangefinder body of this size - if it is even
feasible at all.
My biggest disappointment with mine is the speed readout leds seem to
me miles from the number masks they are supposed to shine through so
I rarely get a glimpse of them. Still I like using it.
Frank