Subject: [Leica] OT: photographer jailed in Texas without cause
From: ajt at mrps.demon.co.uk (Tony Terlecki)
Date: Thu Nov 3 04:57:01 2005

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 01:38:37PM +0100, nathan.wajsman@planet.nl wrote:
> Unfortunate and unpleasant as the incident must have been for the
> photographer, at least the system did work: the prosecutor had more
> sense than the cops and threw out the case.

Not much of a system if his image is allowed to be pasted everywhere as
a potential criminal prior to any hearing. People's minds will have been
influenced by such media coverage and he will forever be prejudged by many
regardless of his innocence or guilt. Also retractions by the media
who publish sensationalist stories are always much smaller than the
original story which creates a great imbalance in the system and which
is very much biased against he defendant.

> I will not be surprised if some money changes hands between the state
> and the photographer as a result of this--after all, he does have a
> lawyer ;-) I certainly would sue if I were him.

I would also strive for a change in the law which protects the
anonymity of the accused until a verdict has been reached.

--
Tony Terlecki
ajt@mrps.demon.co.uk