Subject: [Leica] How are folks handling non-standard matting issues?
From: aaron.sandler at duke.edu (Aaron Sandler)
Date: Fri Oct 28 08:51:14 2005

Paul,

To me, a "matted print" is, for example, an 8"x10" print that has an
(11"x14") piece of card behind it AND one in front of it, the one in front
having an 8"x10" window cut in it (at 45deg angle) through which one can
see the print.  It sounds like what you call a "window mount".  I wouldn't
expect the print to be dry-mounted onto the card behind it, unless that was
specified.  I don't like dry-mounting...for me it is too permanent an
attachment between the photo and the card...if the card or mounting tissue
ends up being less archival than advertised, there's basically no way to
get the print off.  Instead, I hinge-mount my photos in a mat/window mount
using removable, archival, linen tape.

What you have been selling, I would consider to be a "dry-mounted print"
and not a "matted print".  If I was your customer, I might expect something
other than what you're sending, but I'd probably have to take it to a frame
shop to have it framed anyway and so I wouldn't have to worry about
it...that's because I assume you're dry-mounting to a UK standard sized
card which likely won't fit in a standard sized US frame.

If you want to avoid confusion, you could be very specific and say
something along the lines of "8x10 print dry mounted on an 11x14 acid-free
mounting board."  If you want to be really thoughtful and save your buyers
a few bucks/quid, you could mat/mount your US-bound prints using mat/card
that would fit in a standard US frame size (8x10, 11x14, 16x20, inches).

Best,
Aaron (half-British, half-American, and normally totally confused)