Subject: [Leica] Need tips buying used Leica lenses (In particular Leitz 50/3.5 Elmar)
From: langeratcarleton at gmail.com (Mark Langer)
Date: Mon Oct 24 05:46:14 2005

I've had several 50/3.5 Elmars, and performance varies. The ones that you
pay a premium for are usually the reformulated Red Scale Elmar. You can save
a little money by getting a 50/3.5 Elmar with a serial no. over 1,000,000
that does not have the red scale, as Leitz reformulated the optics just
before that serial no., but didn't change the color of the scale numbering
until just after. These "transition" models tend to be cheaper. A bayonet
adapter will be necessary to use these on a M Leica, but the
screwmount f3.5Elmars are much more compact than the bayonet mount
Elmars. So I suggest
that you use the screwmount version.

If you want a real bargain in a similar lens, look for the Soviet made
Industar 22 or 55. The later 55 is a very impressive performer and a good
example of the 22 is no slouch either. You can buy a bag of these for the
same price as a 50/3.5 Elmar. Watch out for samples with excessive wobble of
the collapsible mount -- while this doesn't generally cause a problem with
the lens extended and locked into place, it can be an irritant.

Use of a lens hood is recommended with the 50/3.5 Elmar -- that front
element is right out there, and can use a little protection. But even with a
lens hood, these lenses are incredibly compact and can be a treat to use on
a M Leica. With a screwmount, they allow you to slide the camera into your
shirt pocket when then lens is collapsed.

Mark