Subject: [Leica] Mercury battery solution for M5, Leicaflex, etc.??
From: michiel.fokkema at wanadoo.nl (Michiel Fokkema)
Date: Fri Oct 7 09:07:56 2005

Simon PJ wrote:
> A while ago I bought a stockpile of mercury batteries for my M5 and
> Leicaflexes. They're all a few years old now and appear to be going off.
> Even when 'new' out of the pack they don't send the cameras' battery check
> needles all the way to the 'ok' index. (However, meter readings on the
> cameras still look to be about right.)
>
> So... What is people's experience with the performance of alternatives to
> the mercury batteries?
>
> Do I really need to have each of the cameras re-calibrated to use current
> batteries? (I'm reluctant to send them all away.)
>
> Is it still possible to get hold of 'fresh' mercury batteries for the
> cameras?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Simon.

Hi Simon,

I've been studying on this problem because I just bought a Canonet.
Funny enough it works as well on a alkaline as on a mercury battery, but
i expect to have problems when the alkaline drops it's voltage.
I came along this document of a guy who offers an elegant solution. Nice
thing is he only lives 15 kilometers form where I live.
http://www.buhla.de/Foto/batt-adapt-US.pdf
and check this :http://www.buhla.de/Foto/eQuecksilber.html
and this:http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/mercurybattery.html

Cheers,