Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 37: Sailing around Friesland with a fellow LUGger
From: michiel.fokkema at wanadoo.nl (Michiel Fokkema)
Date: Thu Sep 29 23:06:06 2005

Philippe Orlent wrote:
>>From: Michiel Fokkema <michiel.fokkema@wanadoo.nl>
>>Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 23:07:08 +0200
>>To: Leica Users Group <lug@leica-users.org>
>>Subject: Re: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 37: Sailing around Friesland with a
>>fellow
>>LUGger
>>
>>The dagger boards( I didn't know that is the proper English name) are
>>also easy to use because you only use the one at the side were the sail
>>is and therefore have to switch very often.
>

> Is that easy, Michiel? It ?s a beautiful boat (and a beautiful arrangement
> with your foundation, too :-), but bilge keels would be easier in shallow
> waters, no?

This is what they came up with a few centuries ago.
Bilge keels are diffucult to construct in wood. With the lee boards yoou
don't need to cut a hole in the hull for the bilge keel.
In principle the lee boards are more effective than a keel because they
are curved like a sail and are under an angle to produce pressure into
the wind direction and reduce drift in that manner. A keel however is
symmetrical and therefore does not generate any extra pressure as the
lee boards do.

Cheers,

Michiel Fokkema