Subject: [Leica] CHINA STORIES - long & ramblingâ
From: TTAbrahams at aol.com (TTAbrahams@aol.com)
Date: Thu Oct 6 15:55:10 2005

  15 hours'  time difference between Beijing and Vancouver, BC makes you
wake
up at 3 am and crave for Beijing duck! -
We  came back on Sunday from two weeks in China; one week in Hong Kong and a
25 hour train ride to Beijing and the balance of time there.

 I have been to Hong Kong a couple of times before, but for Tuulikki it was
the first time. It was a good training for the upcoming  LHSA meeting in San
Francisco, after HK San Francisco will feel like a Midwestern flat
cornfield. HK
is vertical, everything straight up or down. Only place that I know of that
uses escalators (world's longest by the way) as commuter transport. We were
lucky enough to have been offered the use of Howard and Esther Cummer's
apartment
while there, complete with amah and Neil the Peke, a Pekingese, 12 years old
and if he had been a car he would have been declared unsafe a long time ago
-
one eye, bad back and a limited amount of teeth but extremely cute and he
managed to convince us that he could sleep on the bed between us.

 Of course Joseph and Sarah provided guidance when it came to the
sightseeing, Joseph with camera stores and Sarah with wines, including a
trip to Macau
where we had an excellent lunch with superb wines at her friend's
restaurant.
Macau is set to become Las Vegas East. The Sands is already there, and The
Venetian is being built as we speak as well as several other fake "Seven
Wonders of
the World". These will cater to the Mainland Chinese who gamble with
dedication. The statistics are interesting, the average visitor to Las Vegas
spends
about $7-800 and the average visitor to Macau spends about $11,000! Boy,
would
that piss Mao off.

 As we were traveling light I resisted buying anything heavy and it was also
a test to see if I could survive with 2 Leicas and two lenses (all right,
three lenses as I picked up a 25/2,8 and it's finder there - one has to
brake
habits slowly). Great lens and the best finder I have ever seen through.
Expensive, but for once you get value for the money.

 Hong Kong had a small typhoon while we were there, only a stage three which
barely slowed down the shopping frenzy although umbrella sales took off.
There
are certain things you do when you go to HK - take the tram (1930's wooden
double deckers) from Happy Valley to Kennedy town (about 1 hour) and from
the
top you have a perfect view of the street life. These trams rattle and shake
with a vengeance, minimum speed is 1/500 but at 2 HK$ (about 22 cents) it is
bargain. Of course we ventured over to Kowloon (with the Star Ferry) and
camera
stores there; Cameron Photo, Francisco Photo, Shogun Camera Company and
several others. Lots of interesting things, back caps for Contax/Nikon
lenses, hoods
for a variety of other lenses and my favourite, a Nikon SLR lens adapter
that
allows me to use these lenses on my PenF.

 When we planned this trip we decided that we were going to take the train
Beijing. Everybody warned us, particularly the people here who never have
done it! It is a 25 hour ride with the Express (the slower train takes 36
hours)
and it was a great decision. Flying is not fun anymore - you are stuffed
into
this aluminium device (built by the lowest bidder) and fed strange looking
food as you are folded into a shape that is not natural for the human body.
This
said, I found that Air Canada, an airline that I have refused to have
anything
to do with for a long time has now grown up and actually cares for passenger
comfort, but the food still is weird.

 On the train we had a two bed compartment in the "Soft Class", nice and
clean and we could look at China rolling by. Every house had piles of corn
on the
roof, only colour in an otherwise fairly gray landscape. The train stops
only
4 times and you cannot leave the platform. Yellow tape blocks the exits and
if
that does not stop you, military guards line the station walls. When you
leave Hong Kong you are entering another country even though they nominally
are
the same. We had outfitted ourselves with wine, water and snacks and timed
it
perfectly; the last snacks were devoured as we rolled into Beijing's West
Station. There was restaurant car in the train, but we decided to forgo it
(and we
had eaten enough in HK to support us with no problem). Great coffee though!

 Beijing was a first for both of us.  Adrian Bradshaw and Joseph met us
(Joseph - with LUGGER Jonathan Kott - had flown ahead of us to save his
vacation
days) and we piled into Adrian's Cherokee (built in China) and joined the
traffic. Driving in Beijing is something else, New York, Mexico City,
Montreal,
Paris are but kindergarten compared to the mayhem on these streets. Nobody
gives
an inch; you just aim the car and blast into the traffic, the cars coming
have
to fend for themselves. Great fun and if I lived there I would get an old
F-250 pickup truck, replace the bumpers with railroad ties and really go to
town!
Most of the cars are locally made, the old Audi 100 has re-emerged as a
Chinese produced Red Flag II, Buicks are plentiful, Shanghai GM makes them,
the
aforementioned Cherokee's, 5 speed and about 2-3 inches more ground
clearance
(gives you an idea about the potholes!). Lots of Korean cars as Taxi's - at
least
the pedestrians have a chance with these. My favourite is the "QQ" - a
small,
size of the Toyota Echo, car, 4 door "bubble". Actually a nice design,
usually
in bright colors to set it apart from the rather dull black/grey majority of
vehicles and it sells for under US$6,000!  Maybe we should send some of the
guys from Detroit and Dearborn there and show what some of us would like to
have! No, it is not sophisticated and electronics are kept to a minimum
which
means that it can be serviced and fixed without involving guys with lap-tops
and
white coats! Before you start yelling about pollution, etc.

  Beijing has very stringent controls for cars, unfortunately this is for
cars only as the industry spews out foul smoke and when you mix that with
the
dust from the Gobi desert (50 miles away) you have air that makes smoking
filtered cigarettes healthy - at least the filter removes some of the stuff.
Those
who do not own a car yet, bicycle and some actually walk. This is exiting as
crossing streets is a death defying experience. NOBODY stops, neither bikes,
buses and cars. Marked pedestrian crossings are only for wimps (and they
don't
stop for you there anyway).

 They do have right hand traffic, but that is not set in stone -
occasionally
you are bumper to bumper with somebody who has decided that maybe its
quicker
in the oncoming lanes! The drivers are a courteous lot though - if you hit
someone, you pick up the hapless victim and drive him to the hospital! In 5
days
we saw at least 3 pedestrians moved down just around where we were staying!
At least it keeps you on your toes (which is good as otherwise you would end
up
on somebody's handlebar). After a while you learn the tricks and reduce your
chances of becoming "road-kill".

 Due to damage to my legs I use a cane (custom made of Titanium no less) and
that was somewhat unnerving for drivers and bicyclists. With the cars, you
point at the drivers and they realise that I would probably be splattered
over
the hood, but they would be "embedded" in the seat with a ?" titanium pipe
through their head - for bicycles you just wave it at their face level and
they
suddenly find that they have brakes!

 Of course we did the tourist things; The Ming Tombs, The Great Wall, and
Tiananmen Square, etc. but with Adrian being a 20+ year veteran of China we
saw
lots of more interesting things. Factory 798 - a huge (multiple city blocks)
that used to house a tool manufacturing operation and now is an artist
enclave.
Exhibitions, galleries, and even living spaces (including one woman who
rents
one of these places - her living room is 7700 square feet!).  We did see a
photo-exhibit on - surprise - China and bicycles! Good work too.

 The Great Wall had its moments - it rarely rains in Beijing, but on the day
we went there, it poured. There is a Gondola ride to the Wall section, but
we
had somehow misread the description and ended up on the "Beijing Badaling
Biconvex Pulley". Imaging a track, very much like a rollercoaster track and
small,
soap-dish like single seat plastic device, occasionally decorated with a
Disney'esq duck-head - this is so you cant see where you are going, not a
bad idea
actually. You jump into this "thing" - at least most did except me - my legs
were a bit too long for the soap-dish, but two very large guys assisted me
by
bending the legs sufficiently that they would fit - it took most of the
visit
to get them straight and then it was repeated on the descent!

 Did I say that it was raining too? Now they haul you up to The Wall and
three guys decided that I would have difficulties getting out so they
promptly
grabbed me, one on each leg and one under my arms and unceremoniously sat me
down
on the exit platform! At least they were smiling while they did it. We
climbed the staircase and run a gauntlet of hawkers of T-shirts, raincoats
(25
cents) made out of blue plastic that looked like something the Man from Glad
would
promote. It was obvious that the emperors never actually walked up to the
wall
as the steps were a/ soupy slick and b/ spaced unevenly and had a 24-26
"rise. Once you make your way up, you stare through the rain at various
ramparts
and tourists (mostly Chinese) taking pictures of each other.

 It is impressive, The Wall that is, and the fact that it would stretch from
San Diego to Maine is mind-boggling. It also cost a worker's life for every
meter of its length! Once we had become thoroughly wet it was time to go
back
down! The soap-dish awaits us - once again with the help of the operators I
was
squished into the seat, my legs were bent to fit and then off we went. In
front was a couple of guys with a smallish stick that supposedly functioned
as a
brake (oh, yeh!) and we hurtled down - not until now did I know what
"hurtling"
really meant! The side of the track is littered with broken, crushed and
dilapidated soap-dishes, a fact that gives you less confidence in this
contraption
as you go by. All right, for a local, used to the Beijing traffic this
probably qualifies as a "Safe Ride" but for us from a cosseted Western life
style it
was kind of scary. Pictures - you got to be kidding - I was hanging on for
dear life and the Leicas had to fend for themselves. In retrospect it was
fun
but I assume skydiving, swimming with sharks and free-climbing large
rockfaces
are. too.

 OK, I have now seen The Great Wall and I never have to go back, but both
Tuulikki and I want to go back to Beijing and China. I found people (once
they
are out of there cars and off their bicycles) friendly and very helpful. Of
course it helps a lot to have friends like Adrian and Yu Li (his wife) as
guides
and also assisting with menus. The food we had was outstanding both in HK
and
Beijing - kind of rough getting home to the mundane fare here! We Had Peking
Duck both in HK (Hong Kong duck?) and Beijing. Ray Tai took us to his
favourite
restaurant in Kowloon. Lots of food and cameras on the table, too.

 Oh, for the camera addicts - there is a large, barn-like structure
somewhere
in Beijing (Adrian drove so I have no idea where it is) that contains about
200 stores - all catering to photographers. New stuff, used stuff, film,
paper,
tripods, bags (for a bag-freak it would be Nirvana!). I picked up some black
and white film, Lucky 400 and a 100 ASA b/w of unknown manufacture - 10
rolls
of 36 exposures for around $5!

  My cameras survived fine, even though I got a drop of rain in my MP while
reloading and it created a bit of a mark on 5-6 frames. I primarily used the
MP
with a 50/2 Planar (occasionally with the 35/2 Biogon) and a M2 with the
25/2,8. Just finished running the films and the 25 is a stunner.  The 35/2
Biogon
is very good, but I find it big and will go back to the 35 Summicron for
that
focal length. The 50 Planar is sufficiently different from a Summicron to
warrant taking it along in the future - probably match it with either the
75/2 or
the 50/1,4 Aspherical. The 25/50/75 combo would also serve me well, too.

 Our thanks to everybody in Hong Kong and Beijing who made the trip so good.
Tuulikki and I hope to see you all soon again, either here or there.
Best for now,
Tom A
Tom Abrahamsson
Vancouver, BC