Subject: [Leica] Re: digital matters (WAS: Nathan's PAW 37: Sailing around Friesla...
From: SonC at aol.com (SonC@aol.com)
Date: Sat Oct 1 04:51:17 2005

In a message dated 9/30/2005 5:51:15 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
firkin@ncable.net.au writes:

, but  taking out or adding elements, or selectively
> blurring them, is  strictly Verboten.

I may have told this story before, but here goes anyhow.  Charles  Bennett
was with the New Orleans Times-Picayune from the forties until the  sixties.
 He
told us several stories of the days when there actually were  competing
newspapers in the US.

The one I liked best was about this guy who would jump right in the middle
of grip-and-grin shots and ribbon cuttings.  His only claim to fame was the
number of times he had been in the paper.
Charlie said they finally got disgusted with that, and shot an image  of a
palm tree that they would insert over the guy before engraving.

Another incident was a fairly prominent guy passed away, and they couldn't
find a shot of him, so they bribed an assistant at the coroner's office,
propped  the dead guy up at a desk, took a shot, then when they got back and
made a
print, painted his eyes open.

Bur collection at the University has a lot of old newspaper shots.  In
those, busy backgrounds were routinely painted out.  So the range of what
might be
permissible as being able to do in a darkroom is probably much wider  than
many of us imagine.

Regards,
Sonny
http://www.sonc.com