Subject: [Leica] Re: digital matters (WAS: Nathan's PAW 37: Sailing around Friesland with a fellowLUGger)
From: firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Fri Sep 30 15:48:44 2005

On 30/09/2005, at 2:41 PM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:

> As for manipulating the image to take the barge out or blur it in
> Photoshop--both of those would be against my self-imposed "digital
> code of conduct" which basically says that I will not do anything in
> Photoshop which I did not do when I was printing in the wet darkroom.
> This means that cropping, rotating, levels adjustments, conversion to
> B&W are all OK, but taking out or adding elements, or selectively
> blurring them, is strictly Verboten. The only exception to this rule
> is unsharp masking--I did not do it in the darkroom, but in the
> digital world it is necessary, so I make an exception there.

I used unsharp masks in the computer before trying it in the darkroom:
It was a technique I shied away from for years, but last year I entered
the world of darkroom masks --- the results can be great, but I'd stick
to the digital version unless you are as crazy as me ;-)

Cheers

Alastair

Message from nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Re: digital matters (WAS: Nathan's PAW 37: Sailing around Friesland with a fellowLUGger))