Subject: [Leica] News from Jeffery Smith (New Orleans)
From: SonC at aol.com (SonC@aol.com)
Date: Fri Sep 30 04:07:21 2005

We've been in a small northwestern Houston  motel for 29 days now, and
on day 30 we are driving back into the city. My  house will be little
different than when I left 4 weeks ago except for no  longer having my
two lab retrievers (rescued, but don't know where to) and  possibly
having electricity. Three people (two of which smoke, and I ain't  one
of them) and three small dogs (one of which snores) in one small room
is close enough to house arrest to make me never want to do insider
trading. I doubt that I will have a job in two weeks, so convincing
my  wife that we aren't on a spendthrift vacation is a daily burden.
I'm not  sure what property on the edge of a toxic waste site is, but
it ain't gonna  be good unless they find oil under my property. I
bought a Bessa R2S  a  week before the storm. I'll guess we will soon
see how it fared underwater  at my post office.

Things are looking up compared to the past 5 weeks,  but looking very
down compared to 6 weeks ago. We had 17,600 students at the  college.
Most of our student population is from the area that was under 10
feet of sludge. New Orleans was one of the most college and
university  laden cities in the south. Now there are a lot of
functional buildings but  no students. I think that New Orleans' only
future is to become "a college  town" by being pretty much just
that...a city with enough housing to house  the students, and enough
bars and clubs to keep them entertained on the  weekends. But even
then, with about ... hmm .. how many colleges and  universities???

Delgado Community College
Dillard University
Holy  Cross College
Loyola University
Loyola University Law School
LSU Dental  School
LSU Health Sciences Center
LSU Medical School
Southern  University of New Orleans
Tulane Medical School
Tulane  University
Tulane Law School
University of New Orleans
University of  Phoenix (aw, they don't count)
Xavier University

With 15 colleges and  universities, maybe New Orleans can make it as a
college town.

But  the photographic opportunities seem grim at  best.

JLS

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] News from Jeffery Smith (New Orleans))