Subject: [Leica] Zorki and J-8 Industar 61 as "car camera"
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun Sep 25 21:04:10 2005

Thanks, Mark and Don.  After I posted my query, I went out shooting at
Seattle's Golden Gardens Park (right on Puget Sound, spectacular view of
the mountains).  I took the Zorki, the Jupiter 8 and the Industar 61.  I
was wearing glasses rather than contact lenses, which lent a whole new
meaning to the proceedings.

The combination of my face shape and vision make it impossible for me to
see the whole 35mm frame on a .72x M camera with glasses.  I can just about
see the 50mm "M" frame with glasses.  I need more eye relief than even many
glasses wearers.

Well, Zorki cameras and even 50mm V/C brightline viewfinders are not made
with eye relief in mind.  The Zorki viewfinder is impossible with glasses.
Even the brightline finder gives me tunnel-vision.  The result was an
exercise in frustration.  Fumble city. I was reminded why I got rid of my
IIIf with very few regrets once I got an "M."

While the Zorki would be a cheap way to go, it's not the best way for
me.  It's OK when I'm wearing my contacts.  With glasses, it would only
work for static subjects.

Mark, you make a very good point about the value of our time.  I have a
sentimental attachment to the Zorki as it belonged to a late friend of
mine.  It works reasonably well *if* I'm wearing contacts.  But I can't
guarantee I'll be wearing contacts when a good picture comes along. If the
Zorki it isn't a good match for my particular set of eyes, I probably
shouldn't invest much more time in it, sentimental value or no.

OTOH, I'm interested in the way different lenses render real photographs.
The way the J-8 does people appeals to me. But using them on the Leica
brings up the compatibility issue.  Again, it may not be worth my time now.
In December or January when it's raining a lot may be time for a few
experiments in Russo-Teutonic relations. A digital rangefinder would make
such experiments much easier.  So maybe they await the vaporous Zeiss or
Leica digital, or an Epson R2D2 with the traditional Bessa R/R2/R2a
viewfinder.

Don, you make a good point about the Kiev.  But I would have to see the
viewfinder before I could tell if it will work for me.  I remember once
looking through a Contax with glasses--if I recall correctly, I had the
same problem as with the Zorki.

Does anybody in Seattle have a Kiev I could look through to confirm this?

OTOH, I remember looking through a Bessa R at Glazer's several years
ago.  I *was* able to see the 35mm frame with glasses on those.  So maybe
there's a used Bessa in my future.  We'll see. I'm sure there are many
people on the Gulf coast who wish they had my problems.

Any further comments welcome.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from clzeni at mindspring.com (Craig Zeni) ([Leica] Zorki and J-8 Industar 61 as "car camera")
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Zorki and J-8 Industar 61 as "car camera")