Subject: [Leica] Zorki and J-8 Industar 61 as "car camera"
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun Sep 25 15:47:30 2005

This might be the wrong crowd to be asking this question, but here goes.

My workplace has banned cameras completely.  If I want to shoot at lunch or
on the way home, I must leave the camera in my car in the underground
parking garage.  I am not comfortable with leaving a Leica in my car.  So I
was thinking of applying the Daniel Ridings Solution:  Use a Soviet camera
as my "at-risk" camera.

My recent shooting with my Zorki 4 and Jupiter-8 have left me underwhelmed
at the J-8.  It's an OK lens, but it's very flare-prone, low contrast and a
bit soft at the 3 widest stops .  Even at narrow apertures, it's no
Summicron.  At f/4.5 and wider, it's distinctly 1930s.  In general, I
consider it good for retro portraits, but not up to par for general
use.  Seattle has many cloudy days when I'd need to open up.

I also have an Industar 61 L/D  55/2.8, which is supposed to be the Soviet
equivalent of the Red Scale Elmar.  Basically a Tessar lens, with lanthanum
glass.  This lens has an outstanding reputation.  Mine focuses
significantly to the rear of where the RF says it is on the Zorki.  So I
don't know yet how good or bad it really is.

I'm thinking seriously of trying to get the Industar 61 adjusted.  But I'm
wondering whether I should do this with a $12 lens, or simply buy a couple
more until I get one that works.  Or try for a better Jupiter-8.  I'm also
wondering whether I should stop playing Russian roulette, buy a used Bessa
R and C/V 35 or 50  for a couple of hundred dollars and stop worrying.

I must admit to a slight fascination with the Zorki, but I much prefer
shooting with a Leica.  Buying more film cameras would cut into the
"Someday a Digital Rangefinder" fund.

Thoughts, advice?

--Peter

Replies: Reply from dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] Zorki and J-8 Industar 61 as "car camera")