Subject: [Leica] China Photography
From: bcaldwell51 at earthlink.net (Bryan Caldwell)
Date: Fri Sep 23 13:55:45 2005

Tina,

I was in Beijing for a week last November, a week last July, and am going
back again in about six weeks. I carried two Nikon digital slr's and a
number of lenses. On most days I carried one camera with a 12-24mm lens and
the other with the rather sizeable 70-200mm. I never had any problems of any
kind. In fact, I never felt that anything was any different than it would be
in any other large Asian city. I visited most of the main tourist
attractions and spent a lot of time just wandering around various
neighborhoods and markets shooting whatever I felt like. I found the people
very warm, cooperative and curious. I hired a driver to visit the Great
Wall, but otherwise made my way by myself without a guide. Every morning I
would have the hotel write out the places I'd decided to go in Chinese
characters that I could show to taxi drivers (you wont find any who speak
English). At the end of a day's wanderings, I'd flag down a taxi and give
them the hotel's business card. The subway isn't very hard to figure out and
can get you to quite a few places cheaply and easily.

I can't speak for the countryside, but I don't think you need to treat
Beijing any differently than anywhere else, despite what you may have heard.
Feel free to send me an email if you'd like some specific recommendations.

Bryan Caldwell