Subject: [Leica] I really disagree with this policy
From: paul at paulhardycarter.com (Paul)
Date: Wed Sep 7 01:27:12 2005

I disagree with the policy too. I believe that to fail to document this
human catastrophe would be neglectful.

Yes, this is those people's home, but I have photographed in peoples
homes many times. I'm damn sure that if you spoke to them and gained
their trust most of these folks would be happy to let you work. It's
what being a documentary photographer is all about.

This code of privacy is always a major issue, but when you think of the
effect that pictures from, for instance, refugee camps in Africa have
on western consciousness, it is not only worth breaching a polite code,
it is essential.

I am not, incidentally, taking about the howling packs of "press"
photographers using their hi-tech cameras like machine guns and their
flashs like disco lights. Keep them out for God's sake!

It's all a question of attitude. I remember a conversation in Sarajevo
- long after the war - when a survivor was telling me how much everyone
had detested the photographers who, during the siege, would turn up
with their long lenses and sit in an armoured car and wait to get a
picture of an old lady getting shot by a sniper on her way to the
market. They hated them almost as much as the snipers themselves. I
pointed out that I was a photographer too, and that I'd just been
taking pictures of him. He said it wasn't the same thing at all.

P.

*******
Paul Hardy Carter
www.paulhardycarter.com