Subject: [Leica] Katrina
From: jgovindaraj at eth.net (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Thu Sep 1 08:32:16 2005

What surprises me is that the Mumbai floods last month were handled with
a lot less chaos, and much more order (no looting, etc.) in essentially
a city 10-15 times the size of New Orleans, and with many slums of
extreme poverty, each the size of New Orleans. It is probably because
nobody expects anything from any level of government, so help each other
out. But, even with that, what surprised me even more was the fact that
the President of the USA was on a one month vacation when such an
eventuality was widely expected, and seems to have taken his own sweet
time getting back to work. Maybe centralized government has its uses,
especially when coordinating national disasters over a few federal
states and fiefdoms.....

It looks that one of the prime causes in both disasters was the
destruction of natural resources - the mangrove swamps in the case of
Bombay, and the wetlands in the case of New Orleans.

Jayanand Govindaraj
Chennai, India