Subject: [Leica] Re: Katrina
From: zoeica1 at yahoo.com (Chris Williams)
Date: Thu Sep 1 08:32:08 2005

Hey guys, I forget how to subscribe to the LUGforum. What's the link?

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Williams <zoeica1@yahoo.com> wrote:
A huge problem will be with the rival gangs. Though the 9th Ward is gone you
have the 6th,7th,and 8th Ward gangs fighting even before this happened.
Sticking them on buses together will lead to even more problems.

I hope the Nat Guard builds some temp fences or something. NOPD cannot
handle this on their own.

Chris

SonC@aol.com wrote:

My wife's cousin and her family finally gave up today and are coming to
Natchitoches to stay with us, because the situation is so hopeless for short
term. There was no flooding in their home, but also no running water, no
electricity, no hope of even buying groceries, much less getting rations.

If you have been watching the extensive reports on TV, it is far worse than
you can imagine.

Willy Wilson, the photographer who took over my position when I left news at
WWL in 1973 was interviewed, and said "I've been shooting news for a long
time, and this was the first time I ever had to wipe tears away to keep
shooting."

Regards,
Sonny
http://www.sonc.com
Natchitoches, Louisiana
Oldest continuous settlement in La Louisiane
?galit?, libert?, crawfish

In a message dated 9/1/2005 10:02:34 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
tim@kairosphoto.com writes:

> "The cuts mean major hurricane and flood protection projects will not be
> awarded to local engineering firms. Also, a study to determine
> ways to protect
> the region from a Category 5 hurricane has been shelved for now."
>
> http://tinyurl.com/bhkrf
>

> Regards,
> Sonny

It does seem that for a country as developed as the US it's taking an
inordinate amount of time to move the required number of national guardsmen
to the area as well as for FEMA to organise medical teams etc (I hear on CNN
this am that medical teams area just now being assembled outside the
disaster area). Even aside from the massive loss of infrastructure, it seems
things just aren't in place to deal with such disasters.

It must seem like an eternity for those still stuck in the immediate area as
law and order breaks down and there is a lack of medical, food and water
resources etc.

tim a