Subject: [Leica] Composition - The Golden Section?
From: philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent)
Date: Sat Aug 27 15:01:31 2005

"The Ancient Greeks had a number of homoerotic cults dedicated to
mathematical masturbation among whose principle fetishes were various quests
for divine ratios. Their most famous product was the Golden Section (also
known as Phi) which can be found so: divide a line (AC) at a particular
point that will yield unequal sections in which the smaller one (AB) is to
the larger one (BC) as the larger one (BC) is to the entire length (AC), or
AB:BC = BC:AC. The ratio can also be expressed as 1:1.618. Common in nature
(in the Fibonacci spiral of a snail's shell, for instance) and universally
pleasing to the eye, this ratio is at the heart of many world-famous
sculptures, paintings and buildings."

http://mfdh.ca/writing/nonfiction/Formal_Visual_Design.html