Subject: [Leica] Leica branded lenses
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Fri Aug 26 21:49:10 2005

Mark,

I am not insulting Leica or any person on the list or off. The thread is
by a group of people who are largely sympathetic to Leica and who are
trying to figure out how Leica can expand its business based on what is
undoubtedly its core competence--making world-class lenses.

The reality of the market is that the majority of photographers are
shifting or have shifted to digital capture. Among them are some
ex-Leica users who got tired of waiting for the DMR or who (like me)
decided that the DMR is not the right solution for them and therefore
went with another body. Let's face it, from a commercial standpoint the
whole line of Leica SLRs has been one giant failure. You may consider
this statement an insult, but the market has spoken. It does not make
sense to speak of insults here. And while you and I and Doug may agree
that the Leicaflex SL has the best viewfinder that ever graced and SLR
and the the R8 is a beautiful piece of equipment, the fact is that Leica
did not make them for charity; they made them to make money--and from
that point of view, both of these wonderful bodies have been abject
failures.

I will continue to use Leica lenses but do not see myself buying another
Leica body--unless the company survives to make a digital M with a
price/performance ratio that is competitive at the time they release it.

Nathan