Subject: [Leica] Leica future and diehard fans
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Fri Aug 26 21:33:33 2005

Mark,

Value is an interesting angle on it, and you're right. Just not a point
I'd want to argue with a hostile inquisitor :-)  Better uses of my time,
I guess.

My stepfather came down today for a rare visit, and we actually got
around to talking about Leicas and nice shoes, and Gibson guitars,
and high quality jewelry, and all mechanical fine watches - things that
are expensive but then maintain value often over many generations,
and at least decades (fine shoes).

We talked about how remarkable and special these items are becoming
in our increasingly disposable, throw-away society.  Funny to fetishize
material things, but they do represent "values" in addition to an assessment
of value of any particular thing.

Whatever. "I can afford it."  :-)    Or as you refine it, "I make financial
value judgements and tradeoffs and choose to afford these things."

Scott