Subject: [Leica] Canon Introduces 2 new digital SLR's
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Aug 23 18:39:39 2005

On 8/22/05 11:00 AM, "Robert Meier" <robertmeier@usjet.net> typed:

> Will Nikon be announcing soon a big price drop for the D2X?

IF the image quality the new canon is coming out with being full frame
outclasses the D2x then I'm sure Nikon will redress its approach to digital
being 1.5X crop and not the full frame.
A thing which with the dropping of the Kodak full frame Nikon compatible
line I'm sure it's already done. The "full frame" option being one the Nikon
system cant afford to be totally out of.

Especially if it turns out the image quality of a cheaper Canon camera
outclasses or even competes with Nikons flagship digital camera

Regardless of approach tactics Nikon did not close down it's R&D building
with the advent of the D2x. The D3x I'm sure is already mocked up and the
janitor is out using a sample copy on his lunch breaks.
I've been informed the D200 is about to be announced.

I don't think they'll drop the price of the D2x camera by two grand.

But sure lets count Nikon out just because Canon has come out with a new
body. It happens every time on internet lists people will love any excuse to
buy and sell cameras in lieu doing photography itself.
At the Pro Photo Supply camera store I go to most of the employees shoot
Nikons over Canons and they sell more Nikons then Canons. The two glass
cases are the same size.

Canon had One Brief Shining Moment when some of the top stock agencies were
only wanting its full frame output. Then the D2x came out like 8 months
later and the viability of the 1.5X cropped format was back in the ballgame
and certainly was Nikon.
The idea many Canon users like to propagate that a photographer is simply
not competitive unless one is using their cameras has always been out to
lunch.
Nikon still dominates the professional market.
And Leica still has it's tiny nietzsche.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/