Subject: [Leica] #284
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Aug 23 08:17:01 2005

Philippe Orlent asked:
Subject: Re: [Leica] #284

> Hi Graham,
>
> I like the way a certain magic is creeping into your images: these are
> becoming almost fantasy images with a great stopping power. Did you ever
> try
> to produce this effect in colour? IMO it would be images that seem to be
> from another planet.<<<<<<<

Hi Philippe,
Interesting you should ask to see this in colour as it came to mind, but I
dismissed it as quickly because I felt the power comes from being B&W. Hang
this one on a wall and pretty well everyone would stop and look, in colour
it would look like another tourist calendar picture. A nice calendar shot,
but not with the equal stopping power in B&W.

Quite possibly in colour it would lose it's impact because the B&W contrasts
create the impact, in  colour I don't think it would stand out so
beautifully. Unless maybe using a polarizing filter and a half stop darker
to enhance the colours. Or something like that. ;-)

However, I'll take this one as is. :-) Simply because it's a first class
photograph. :-)

ted