Subject: [Leica] Canon Introducs 2 new digital SLRs
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Mon Aug 22 10:35:21 2005

Doug, there are no free lunches. Leica may be big on the "no AA
filter" but all those digital sampling classes I took SCREAM that you
have to bandwidth limit when doing digital sampling. Try it in the
audio domain and the results can be pretty shocking. BAD filtering in
the audio domain can be worse than none, of course.

I'll be eager to test all of this out - although some rigourous method
of testing the DMR and 1Ds Mk II (even using the same optics) would
have to be devised and I don't know what that would be.

I have seen no one do this kind of test. It would be fascinating and
it will happen in the high-frequency component details where Leica
lenses are supposed to be at their very best. Probably it requires
shooting film and different digital sources together in order to make
the testing meaningful.

Devising something meaningful would be an interesting challenge, doing
the testing would probably be like testing the Shroud of Turin. <grin>

Adam