Subject: [Leica] OT digicams around CDN$500?
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Fri Aug 12 17:20:02 2005

Tim,
If you want small with good image quality and battery life then one of
the Casio 5MP models work well.  In the same league would be the Canon
SD300/400 although battery life on the Canon's are somewhat short.
Down one step would be the Nikon S1(2) and the Sony T33(the Sony is a
good camera but I have issues with the duo memory sticks).

At a higher price point the Panasonic FZ-7 offers image stabilization
and a large screen although again, battery life is problematic.

If you want  a longer zoom range the Panasonic FZ-5 would be a very
good place to start.  5MP, 12X zoom, image stabilization, and a fairly
small package make it the first place to look in this category.  Other
contenders would be the Minolta Z-5, and the Canon mentioned by
another poster.

If most camera for the money is the issue then the Canon A95 provides
excellent image quality, a lot of manual setting ability, a moveable
screen, works on AA's, can be adapted to wider and longer lenses, and
is pretty quick on the shot.  Downsides would be relatively small
screen, pretty heavy for the class, and until you figure out the logic
of the controls a pretty obtuse user interface.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com