Subject: [Leica] eye to eye
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Thu Aug 11 16:24:32 2005

B.D.
Contrary to popular opinion, the 180 APO's from Leica are superior by
quite a wide margin to the Nikon, Canon, Pentax, or MInolta
equivalents.  It is the difference between the 400 Canon lens that
Doug was gifted and the 280 Leica lens that got bent.  For journalism
purposes I wouldn't bother but for prints of critters where seeing
every hair, crevace, scar, or any other tiny detail is important to
you then Leica is the ticket.

The difference is in the ability to record really tiny details, what
the 40 cycle line on an MTF chart shows.  The Japanese glass has great
contrast and resolves the larger of the fine details really well, but
for seeing everything that was there on the film or on the sensor then
go with the gnomes from Solms.

I own the 200 F2.8 Canon and the 180 F3.4 APO currently.  I have
plenty of slides from the Nikon and the 180 Summicron to back up
comments.  But heck, just go to Dougs website and look at his images.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com