Subject: [Leica] Canon Anything vs. DMR
From: pwerner at bluewin.ch (Peter Werner)
Date: Wed Aug 10 01:01:19 2005

Adam,

> Well I think the lack of an anti-aliasing filter in the DMR just reeks

> of "free lunch". Those filters are there for a REASON - to eliminate
> aliasing.

This filter eliminates aliasing but at the same time, it reduces
sharpness.
The solution advocated by Leica for maximum sharpness is to correct
artifacts in post-processing and only on those parts of the picture that
are affected by artifacts. With a hardware AA filter, you sacrifice
maximum possible quality even when there are no artifacts to correct.

In 99% of my DMR photos, I have no artifact problems. I do not want to
get less than optimum quality on these for the 1% that will need
anti-aliasing post-processing.

Peter Werner
http://www.leicaphoto.net

vs.