Subject: [Leica] Canon Anything vs. DMR
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Tue Aug 9 19:19:07 2005

on 8/9/05 5:21 PM, Adam Bridge at abridge@gmail.com wrote:

> Well I think the lack of an anti-aliasing filter in the DMR just reeks
> of "free lunch". Those filters are there for a REASON - to eliminate
> aliasing. The version of the DMR I saw had to have special software to
> HELP eliminate the effects of aliasing when shooting high-frequency
> areas of the image - such as the fine mesh of a wedding veil.
>
> I will be eager to shoot side-by-side with a DMR with my 1Ds Mk II
> through the same lenses on the same scenes. I have a 36 x 54 on the
> wall that suggests that there's nothing wrong with the 1Ds for
> landscapes.

I think the biggest differences will not be because of the presence or
absence of the AA filter but rather because of a 16-bit capture (DMR) vs.
12- or 14-bit capture extrpolated to 16 bits.  The difference would be seen
as richer tonality or better tonal or color gradation.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from pwerner at bluewin.ch (Peter Werner) ([Leica] Canon Anything vs. DMR)