Subject: [Leica] Canon Anything vs. DMR
From: robinson at sfsu.edu (Gib Robinson)
Date: Tue Aug 9 16:19:41 2005

Tina,

[you wrote]
> With RAW files any subtleties of tone or sharpness can be adjusted when
they are developed.

I love using RAW (I only shoot RAW) but, to my eye, the 20D images don't
have as much subtlety of tone (low mid-tones & below esp)  as I want for
outdoors. I don't think that simply upping the MP count will do it. I
suspect it has to do with the extra filter and maybe with other decisions
that Canon made about electronics & CMOS. I've seen a couple of prints from
a DMR that were very impressive & the staff at Calument really does think
the DMR produces a better image than the 1DS Mk II. They've seen both, used
both & printed from both. I'm not saying they're right but I can't dismiss
their conclusions either. I want more proof: "Ocular Proof" as Iago was fond
of saying to Othello. Would I rather wait till October and pay 2.5K for a
body that would match the DMR? You bet; but I'm not yet convinced the next
gen. Canon will get me there.

--Gib

Replies: Reply from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] Canon Anything vs. DMR)
Reply from pwerner at bluewin.ch (Peter Werner) ([Leica] Canon Anything vs. DMR)