Subject: [Leica] Canon Anything vs. DMR
From: robinson at sfsu.edu (Gib Robinson)
Date: Tue Aug 9 14:44:27 2005

I've also been hearing rumors about a new 12MP Canon in October, maybe FF,
maybe around $3k. That's what my Canon pro shooters are saying; but there is
a basic comparison between Canon/Leica sensors & approaches I'd still like
to get clear.

The DMR has no low-pass filter for AA/Moire. According to some early
reports, that seems to give the DMR it more sharpness and subtlety of tone
than the CMOS sensors used by Canon. (eg: The local Calumet Camera staff
felt the DMR was better than the 1DS Mk II and they sell both). Megapixels
alone don't solve that, if it's true. In the rather casual comparisons I've
seen between the DMR & Canon bodies (either the 20D or  the 1DS Mk II) I
haven't seen really detailed images (like natural landscapes), so I can't
judge whether the basic approach of the Imacon/Kodak/Leica people is as good
or better than the Canon CMOS approach with a hardware filter.

For me this is an issue because I shoot outdoors so much and depend on tonal
range and detail, especially if I print above 8.5x11. I love using the 20D
for people & city shots. I'm less enchanted when I take it to the mountains.
I'm hoping someone will do a really good comparison of the 1DS Mk II and the
DMR. If there's one already out there that someone thinks is good, please
let me know. Also, if someone knows of a thorough comparison of the sensor
capacities that includes information on the low-pass filter issues, please
let me know.

Thanks,

--Gib

Replies: Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Canon Anything vs. DMR)