Subject: [Leica] KFC but not Starbucks in Göteborg
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Mon Aug 8 20:40:29 2005

Funny enough, the real KFC was the first of the American fast-food chain
in Denmark. When we moved to ?rhus, Denmark's second city, in 1972,
there was already a KFC there. Burger King did not arrive on the scene
until they opened their first restaurant in 1978 or 79, and I remember
it was very controversial--people were worried that the traditional
Danish sausage stands would all go out of business. Besides the loss of
a street tradition, there was also a more serious issue because many of
these sausage stands support a children's charity. In any event, Burger
King came, proved very popular, and was followed by McDonalds a couple
of years later. Today, all three are well established (that first Burger
King is still there), and the sausage stands did NOT go out of business.

No Starbucks, though.

Nathan