Subject: [Leica] about the howard dean thing
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Aug 2 13:21:00 2005

Chandos Michael Brown offered:
Subject: RE: [Leica] about the howard dean thing

> Brad,
> > I don't think that you're overreacting at all.  What you describe is a
> circus of amateurs (at least on the reporter's side), and you'll hardly
> have opportunity to distance yourself from their antics. On the other
> hand, if access to Dean and the photos that you might secure are of
> significant value to you, then you can go in there quipping (or thinking
> about) about the Crusty the Clown dip-shit who's conducting the
> interview and bang away frames to you heart's content.<<<<<

G'day Chandos,
the only problem with that is the photographer, Brad Daly, will be
considered by Mr. Dean's handlers as part of the "interview circus" and be
tarred with the same brush as the idiot playing the role of reporter and
bell ringer. And quite probably be thrown out as quick as the bell begins to
ring or any other stupid antics occur.

If it's really important for Brad to get a photograph, he might consider
asking for a quick shot right at the beginning and out the door before the
stupidity begins. Then at least he's got his picture and not part of the
circus.

It works like this. As soon as Brad walks in the door he says........
"Excuse me may I take my picture first, it'll only be a moment and if Mr.
Dean would step over here ( at this point Brad has already made an assesment
where the best light is and indicates exactly where he wants the subject to
stand or sit) and shows he's ready to shoot! No fiddling around getting
camera out of bag or fiddling with the lens etc.and in 99.999% of the time
the request is granted. picture shot and Brad is out the door! Leaving idiot
interviewer to make a fool of himself.

If this stupid situation happens, as explained about bell ringing every ten
seconds or so, I sure as hell wouldn't want to be part of it. Quite simply
any kind of antics of this nature belittles all of us who are usually
cosidered? ;-)  "normally stable" working news-reporters or photographers.

ted