Subject: [Leica] Re:Dell Bashing
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Thu Jul 28 20:00:31 2005

I was an employee of Compaq for a while, and one of my assignments was to do
an evaluation of Dell products and services. One of my staff bought a Dell
computer for her mother, and we monitored and analyzed every aspect of the
relationship. We also did what many manufacturers do: bought Dell computers
and tore them apart and studied what was there.

What I learned is that Dell had way better service than Compaq did at that
time, and that Dell's manufacturing quality was as good as their price
points would allow. In consumer price ranges, the reliability of all
computers involves component quality and the QA process. From time to time
there will be a design that is inherently unstable or unmanufacturable, and
part of what QA must do is spot those designs quickly and pull them.

Dell dominated Compaq, in my opinion, because it was so much easier to deal
with them and their customer service was so much better. (Also, of course,
because they pioneered direct-to-consumer sales instead of selling through
retailers.)

The computer market is too competitive for any brand that doesn't make
quality products to survive. Even a good brand can have an occasional lemon.
There is nothing wrong with Dell computers, but carefully hand-made
computers are better. And a lot more expensive.

Replies: Reply from creativevisions at verizon.net (Michael J Herring) ([Leica] Re:Dell Bashing)
Message from leicachris at worldnet.att.net (Christopher Williams) ([Leica] Re:Dell Bashing)