Subject: [Leica] Can someone share the secrets of good flash photography?
From: ericm at pobox.com (Eric)
Date: Sat Jul 16 06:11:41 2005

Adam:

>I think they are as well exposed
>as they were going to be shooting in a dark room

By that, I'm guessing you mean dark backgrounds?

Try dragging your shutter a bit.  If the ambient exposure calls for 1/2 at
f1.4, then use that, and just the let flash fall where it does at regular
exposure.  Your subject will be mostly frozen by the flash, and any
background blur caused by motion will probably blend in with the out of
focus blur.

If you have a decent light level, then set your flash to underexpose by some
amount.  I like -1 2/3 stop, myself.  The flash will then boost the shadows
just enough to be captured in the range of your film.  It's more like a
self-powered reflector, and it won't be the main light.

--
Eric
http://canid.com/

Replies: Reply from leica_korenman at hotmail.com (eric) ([Leica] Can someone share the secrets of good flash photography?)