Subject: [Leica] Travel Pictures
From: clive.moss at gmail.com (Clive Moss)
Date: Fri Jul 15 14:40:58 2005

I used to use pbase, like this:
http://www.pbase.com/chmoss/travel/
I switched to smugmug, like this:
http://clive.smugmug.com/Travel/

I switched because smugmug offered two features I wanted: economical
storage of large files (they work with a bandwidth not a storage
limitation), and the ability for visitors to order prints from the site
(good for friends and family - goodbye ofoto)

My base storage at home is a time sequenced set of folders, with each
individual image renamed as yyyy-mm-dd(hh.mm)OriginalName. In this way
images from different cameras appear in one neat merged sequence,
provided that I remember to synchronize the clocks and set them to the
correct time zone. The renaming and folder creation is done in a program
called pixfer (see http://www.glasslantern.com/) which can copy a set of
pictures to two folder structures, rename them, and create folders based
on date or other variables all in one swell foop.

My total image file structure is mirrored on an external Maxtor II
Firewire drive.

So, everything is mirrored locally, and keepers are kep at smugmug as
full resolution jpgs, which are viewed at reasonable sizes by all with
whom I choose to share.

So far, it works for me.
--
Clive