Subject: [Leica] photography today is GARBAGE
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Jul 13 13:52:46 2005

One guys intolerance is another guys gross crass bass indulgence.

To think that one can create a photograph of any respectable consequence on
a chip of 24x36mm rollfilm is ridiculous.
We all know that the only camera worth bothering with is a Deardorf.
8x10 inch hopefully but ideally an 11x14.
To be contact printed on platinum paper which you coat yourself on 100% rag
paper. Its obvious to anyone that once you project film it falls apart. A
silver print is a pale imitation of a true photograph which is platinum. All
the great photographers knew that.
To hold a camera in ones hands and think one is going to make a decent
photograph is a laugh. Your most important piece of year is a substantial
wooden tripod. Few of your exposures will be less than a minute.
Each sheet of film you shoot needs to be processed individually in trays in
total darkness in dangerous and tricky Pyro developer wearing rubber gloves
up to your elbows.
The quality you get putting them in racks in a tank you're just kidding
yourself.

And my models are of courses virgins who bath in milk a full hour before
every shoot. Their parents help with the poses. I have a metal rack thing
behind their heads to keep them still for those 5 minute exposures. But they
always blink the kids nowadays have no self control.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/